TEC Forums

Notifications
Clear all

Proper Use of the @Kudos System

GMSiddhe
(@eternal-admin)
GameMaster Admin

Hi folks -

It's been brought to our attention through player reports that not everyone may be aware of how the kudos system is intended to work.

@Kudos is meant to give a pat on the back to someone whose RP you have enjoyed, have made a significant contribution to your gameplay, held a fun event, etc.

Examples of proper use of @kudos:
@Kudos Shade Enjoyed spending time with you discussing Blueberry Pies at Pego's today!
@Kudos Shade Thanks for the auction this weekend! I couldn't attend but I appreciate your gameworld contribution.

@Kudos is not intended to be used collectively to select a player to "win" Role Player of the Month. Additionally, you should not be sending a kudos to an alt in order to circumvent the 5-per-character limit.

When using @kudos, the message should state a specific reason as to why you are thanking the player for their RP. It should not contain a random string of words or letters, song lyrics, the phrase "for reasons", or other nonsensical things.

@Kudos is also not meant to pass OOC information ("I'll be on after the movies tonight!") or coordinate in-game behavior ("Meet me in 2 hours in the Sands on your alt").

Note that staff can see any kudos given, and if it is determined that someone is consistently using them incorrectly, you may be restricted from sending.

I love the kudos system and it's ability to reward people for the RP that matters to *you* and not just the RP that we witness and award, so I am hoping that by clarifying now, it will be used correctly going forward, and we won't have to monitor it.

Topic starter Posted : 04/27/2021 4:03 PM
Kered
(@kered)
Trusted Member

Hello Siddhe, thank you for posting this but some serious question/s I'll start

1. Kudo'sing someone who is constantly setting up events that are reoccurring promoting active RP in the game, do you consider that winning the rper of the month, I can think of 2 people who are constantly adding events/ interaction with everyone they can and deserve my kudos when i have those. I feel like this is the target audience of what kudos is for.  There I am asking for clarification on this. 

Are you frowning on people getting kudos for actively setting open RP for the game via weekly events? 

If not what do you consider @Kudos is not intended to be used collectively to select a player to "win" Role Player of the Month.

If they are getting kudos from people for setting up events is being frowned on?

Off topic/ related topic, I think we should be thanking people for making the game world more active thats what kudos is about?

Sorry for wall of text, what i got out of this was, someone felt upset that people were kudosing others who are active in the game world and alot of people agreed we should be promoting thank you for doing this?

/End rant

Est 1999

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/27/2021 4:28 PM
Dragonus liked
RandomOne
(@randomone)
Estimable Member

Some suggestions for the Kudos system since there are some valid issues with it:

1) Only allow Kudos to 1 person a day, but allow it for 3 different Characters. Often times a group event or RP happens but you can only award 1 person for it. Now you are forced to spread Kudos out across multiple days for something that happened so that people can get the recognition they deserve. 

2) The 300 point bar for RPoTM is just too high. Think of it mathematically. (For a single character) It would take 60 Kudos (at 5 RPs a piece) in a given month to hit that number. Even if people maxed out their 5 Kudos a month on you, it would take 12 people Kudos'ing you 5 times a month to be able to even hit that bar. Thats a little high for a game that has about 10 people on at off hours and at a high, 40 on when events are running. 

My suggestion, do away with the 300 point bar and just award it to whoever gets the most Kudos that month. That means every month, someone is being recognized, as they should, and the reward is minimal anyway. It also makes it attainable without anyone feeling the need for coordination or boosting someone.

3) Add in an "interview" for the RPoTM to make it feel like a real "win." Even a simple 5 or 6 question message you send to them and then post their answers in the forum. Make it feel like you do when someone really does win something. Questions like "How long have you been playing?, Favorite Thing about TEC, Least Favorite Thing about TEC, Most memorable moment from the last month (no spoilers), etc." Its simple, its free, and it does feed the sense of community for folks.

4) Add "Kudos"ing to the Vote reminder. Remind people of the system to reward good RP/interaction/etc. 

Just some of my thoughts on it all

Check out the JagerBtFM Twitch Stream's Discord at: https://discord.gg/zKcSsrTp

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/27/2021 4:50 PM
Dragonus liked
GMSiddhe
(@eternal-admin)
GameMaster Admin
Posted by: @kered

Hello Siddhe, thank you for posting this but some serious question/s I'll start

1. Kudo'sing someone who is constantly setting up events that are reoccurring promoting active RP in the game, do you consider that winning the rper of the month, I can think of 2 people who are constantly adding events/ interaction with everyone they can and deserve my kudos when i have those. I feel like this is the target audience of what kudos is for.  There I am asking for clarification on this. 

Are you frowning on people getting kudos for actively setting open RP for the game via weekly events? 

If not what do you consider @Kudos is not intended to be used collectively to select a player to "win" Role Player of the Month.

If they are getting kudos from people for setting up events is being frowned on?

Off topic/ related topic, I think we should be thanking people for making the game world more active thats what kudos is about?

Sorry for wall of text, what i got out of this was, someone felt upset that people were kudosing others who are active in the game world and alot of people agreed we should be promoting thank you for doing this?

/End rant

So, as I mentioned twice in my post:

@Kudos is meant to give a pat on the back to someone whose RP you have enjoyed, have made a significant contribution to your gameplay, held a fun event, etc.

@Kudos Shade Enjoyed spending time with you discussing Blueberry Pies at Pego's today!
@Kudos Shade Thanks for the auction this weekend! I couldn't attend but I appreciate your gameworld contribution.

So yes, you can give a kudos to someone that holds events and you want to support that. That's a good thing.

However, that's not what we're seeing, which goes along with what I said about clearly labeling your Kudos. In addition to song lyrics, OOC info, and literally strings of letters and numbers like "saklfja9w30ajfl" what we are seeing are things like "LOL for gaming the system" and "#winning!" - obviously not related to gameplay.

If you want to tell someone "Great job for running an event!" or show appreciate to someone's gameplay you enjoy, your Kudos should say that. And it should go to the actual character. Not their alts that haven't been logged into in weeks. Not all the alts of your BFF so they can get extra RPs by the end of the month. Not using your OWN alts to give more kudos to your favorite hunting partner.

tl;dr - there needs to be a correlation between the roleplay and the kudos.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 04/27/2021 5:16 PM
Dragonus
(@dragonus)
Eminent Member
Posted by: @eternal-admin

Hi folks -

It's been brought to our attention through player reports that not everyone may be aware of how the kudos system is intended to work.

@Kudos is not intended to be used collectively to select a player to "win" Role Player of the Month. Additionally, you should not be sending a kudos to an alt in order to circumvent the 5-per-character limit.

When using @kudos, the message should state a specific reason as to why you are thanking the player for their RP. It should not contain a random string of words or letters, song lyrics, the phrase "for reasons", or other nonsensical things.

@Kudos is also not meant to pass OOC information ("I'll be on after the movies tonight!") or coordinate in-game behavior ("Meet me in 2 hours in the Sands on your alt").

Note that staff can see any kudos given, and if it is determined that someone is consistently using them incorrectly, you may be restricted from sending.

I love the kudos system and it's ability to reward people for the RP that matters to *you* and not just the RP that we witness and award, so I am hoping that by clarifying now, it will be used correctly going forward, and we won't have to monitor it.

Honestly, the intention of this thread is rather confusing and I'd like some clarifications on expectations, if possible.

1) "@Kudos is meant to give a pat on the back to someone whose RP you have enjoyed, have made a significant contribution to your gameplay, held a fun event, etc."

The "etc." is kind of open-ended and makes it seem like it's open to our interpretation, but the overall tone of this thread feels like there are strict "GM-Approved" kudosable actions, so can you please list what those are?

Example: If I woke up my character and heard Elowynn hosted an event that I feel made a significant contribution to the game world and I appreciate it, can I kudos that even if I wasn't there myself? Must we limit 1 kudos per 1 interaction? Can I kudos someone multiple times because last week I had a really great time RPing with them or maybe they held an auction I liked?

2) "@Kudos Shade Enjoyed spending time with you discussing Blueberry Pies at Pego's today!"

So is the intention that GMs need to read and approve every kudos, not just to make sure no one uses curse words and OOC info, but also to make sure it meets their/your "GM-Approved" kudosable reasons and we need a clear explanation of what it's for? In the above situation, this isn't a diary entry, I personally would likely go with "@Kudos Shade Blueberry Pies and stuff". Which clearly Shade and I would understand, but a GM might not. Is this no longer allowed? Do kudos require at least 1 full sentence like an @report? If both characters were standing next to each other, some people may just do "@Kudos Shade 12345" because the context makes it obvious.

3) "@Kudos is not intended to be used collectively to select a player to "win" Role Player of the Month. Additionally, you should not be sending a kudos to an alt in order to circumvent the 5-per-character limit."

No kudos to an alt, agreed. Though I would question why do we have a 5 kudos limit in the first place? Why not 10? 20? As mentioned by others, adding a cap of 5 kudos per character "for reasons" is about as clear of an explanation as seeing that in a kudos itself. So taking into account our player base size, it does come across as an attempted glass ceiling to limit people.

Additionally, this comment implies those people being collectively selected to "win" are not because of the stated earlier reasons of "RP you have enjoyed, have made a significant contribution to your gameplay, held a fun event, etc.". These are not mutually exclusive, so back to point #1 are we allowed to Kudos people we think have contributed to the game world or not?

Lastly, anyone supportd, isn't really selected to "win". The players are not the ones deciding RPer of the month. Final decision always has been that of GMs. If a group of players wish to send their kudos to those they feel deserve it -hoping- that -maybe- they -might- win, that's somewhat different. It's the difference between supporting someone you believe in that may or not win vs being the final decision on a matter and already deciding who your choice will be.

4) "I love the kudos system and it's ability to reward people for the RP that matters to *you* and not just the RP that we witness and award, so I am hoping that by clarifying now, it will be used correctly going forward, and we won't have to monitor it."

While I understand the words in this statement, the overall post (to me) feels as though it's not RP that matters *to us* because that's what people are typically using it for. To my knowledge people are currently using kudos for characters *they* enjoy and GMs are already filtering out any OOC or abusive content. So then the only reason I see for this thread is that it sounds like the GMs want to approve what is also valid to them/you.

obviously not related to gameplay.

5) Honestly, that's your assumption. I could easily have great RP with Kered then "@Kudos Kered 12345" and *I* know it's about game play, but this clearly is no longer about just our preferences as players. But if the message of this thread is just "be a bit more clear with your kudos because we want to approve it" then message received.

tl;dr - there needs to be a correlation between the roleplay and the kudos.

...that the GMs can read. (added for accuracy).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/27/2021 5:49 PM
GMSiddhe
(@eternal-admin)
GameMaster Admin
Posted by: @dragonus

Honestly, the intention of this thread is rather confusing and I'd like some clarifications on expectations, if possible.

1) "@Kudos is meant to give a pat on the back to someone whose RP you have enjoyed, have made a significant contribution to your gameplay, held a fun event, etc."

The "etc." is kind of open-ended and makes it seem like it's open to our interpretation, but the overall tone of this thread feels like there are strict "GM-Approved" kudosable actions, so can you please list what those are?

Example: If I woke up my character and heard Elowynn hosted an event that I feel made a significant contribution to the game world and I appreciate it, can I kudos that even if I wasn't there myself? Must we limit 1 kudos per 1 interaction? Can I kudos someone multiple times because last week I had a really great time RPing with them or maybe they held an auction I liked?

I explicitly stated in my original post that you could kudos someone for holding an event, even if you couldn't attend. So yes, you can do that. The system will allow you to kudos the same person up to 5 times per month - so yes, you can do that, too.

Really, this isn't hard, and oddly, up until just a few weeks ago, was not an issue. Kudos the actual recipient. Input a meaningful, decipherable reason. Easy peasy.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 04/27/2021 9:29 PM
Shizdain
(@shizdain)

Wait, I don't get it. Your post is entirely unclear. So what you're saying is, I have to click OUT of the TEC window and into discord to send OOC messages to my friends? Conspiracy. Tyranny.

#FreeShizdain

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/27/2021 10:36 PM
Manwithknife
(@manwithknife)

It was my general understanding that Kudos was an in the moment kind of deal. I only Kudos people after meaningful roleplaying experiences. Imo you shouldn't be able to Kudos people for running events that you did not attend, nor should you be able to Kudos someone multiple times for the same interaction. While we're on the topic though Kudos through the years has been one of the most abused mechanics in the game. Look at the past rpers of the month over the last 10 years, perhaps you'll notice that the top 10 rarely changes. It probably has nothing to do with this however.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/28/2021 8:42 PM
Manwithknife
(@manwithknife)
Posted by: @shizdain

Wait, I don't get it. Your post is entirely unclear. So what you're saying is, I have to click OUT of the TEC window and into discord to send OOC messages to my friends? Conspiracy. Tyranny.

This forum needs more of this. Kudos!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/28/2021 8:53 PM
Sam
 Sam
(@sam)

trus me guys, they are not playing with the no lyrics thing. I did 3 lines from a Police song and got 24 hours of nowhere. That is one of the main reasons I quit TEC, Toxic af player bases and GMs that allow OOC harassment but act like you just coughed in their face while holding a positive covid test. I had no idea they hired Shaw Moore from Footloose as a GM.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/03/2021 4:10 PM
Shizdain
(@shizdain)

Isn't the entire point behind the game to have a fully immersive role play experience? The more stupid crap like quoting lines from today's music is allowed, the more the game will slip into a glorified chat room. I'm already against the OOC chat feature

#FreeShizdain

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/03/2021 6:39 PM
Herdias
(@herdias)
Eminent Member

Can we talk about the actual system a bit? I've made some of these suggestions before but they were pre-Three Seas so maybe they'll be better received now.

1. Instead of 1 kudos per day, have a pool of 30(31) kudos usable throughout the month at your leisure. There have been multiple times where I have exceptional RP on -one- day with multiple people and I basically have to keep an external note system to remember to kudos the others on a later date. This also means I can't reward kudos those later days because I'm on a backlog of RP rewards from last Tuesday. I would love the ability to ad hoc kudos someone when I want and it's deserved. 

2. A small reward to people for actually using kudos. I try to kudos whenever I remember, but sometimes because of the 1 person limit, or I just didn't meet that person's kudos criteria, I don't get any kudos back. It would be nice if actively using the system "gave back" even if you're not getting kudos yourselves for trying to show your appreciation to others great RP.

3. A separation of Kudos! and GM/SG awarded RP rewards on the RPotM list. Idk if this is really necessary, but would be nice to see where those RPs are mostly coming from and seeing the system in work?

4. A command to see when your kudos reset. I'm not sure if it's a static 24 hours or a certain hour of the day but I often times can't kudos someone cause I haven't hit the cooldown period. 

5. A reminder (backups, random timer, etc.) to use the kudos system. I'd venture that the player base doesn't fully utilize it because they forget or don't know about it.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Herdias
ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/04/2021 10:44 AM
Dragonus liked
Share: