TEC Forums

Notifications
Clear all

Herbalism Skill Set

Page 1 / 2

GMSiddhe
(@eternal-admin)
GameMaster Admin

As many of you already know, and additional folks may have heard rumors of, the soft release of phase one herbalism took place last night as part of an on-going storyline. Those who were online were given a story-related task (those who are curious should keep their ears open IG).

As the story progresses, you'll see more herbalism content become available, including a trainer, corresponding shop, and a number of exciting recipes for things to make.

A third phase to herbalism will also be introduced at some point, but that is a bit further down the road. However, you can expect phase two, mentioned above, very soon.

Topic starter Posted : 04/16/2022 2:19 PM
RandomOne liked
RandomOne
(@randomone)
Estimable Member

Thanks for the information and the rollout

Check out the JagerBtFM Twitch Stream's Discord at: https://discord.gg/zKcSsrTp

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/16/2022 3:04 PM
ArchMagi
(@archmagi)
Trusted Member

New non-com skill and I was asleep?!

Darth Vader: NOOOO!!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/16/2022 8:52 PM
Dragonus
(@dragonus)
Eminent Member

In terms of Herbalism's staying power and usefulness, after rereading the notes mentioned in this thread or this one (tools, recipes, foraging, etc.) I don't see any mention of jobs or benefits to encourage engaging with an herbalist.

As an example, PC-crafted torches can last longer than store-bought ones, PC-crafted lockpicks can be better than store-bought ones. But most of the products an herbalist can make so far, can be found or purchased at basically the same quality. In fact, some of the juices don't even replenish thirst. Is there something in mind (either now or in future) as a means to a purpose for herbalists to be more sought after?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/08/2022 8:59 PM
RandomOne liked
ArchMagi
(@archmagi)
Trusted Member

@dragonus a herbalist can make massive amounts of the stuff fairly easily?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/09/2022 3:53 AM
Syden
(@syden)

What I like most about the skillset is the exploration and looking for new items. I have a new found appreciation for the amount of effort that has gone into designing the Gameworld. The new approach that Senses has taken to Herbalism opens a lot of doors for other crafting skillsets. I do feel it may be 'too simple' though.

What I dislike about the skillset is it's current usefulness and the required skill to make it useful. It is very limited in the ways you can make money. Player based economy and selling materials to an NPC for 1sen to 1 sterce ea.

The issue with the first one is, as Dragonus said, there is nothing that you can't already buy in the shop. Yes, herbalists can craft alot of it but there's nothing that people actually want to use.. Oil being the only exception and even then unless we were able to set up a permanent stand to sell things, it's not worth it. I don't want to pew pew the skillset yet as we have only found 24/30 recipes that Senses mentioned. I just hope that the last 6 provide something unique and useful for the player base to actually use.

Some feedback and suggestions for the skillset would be:

1. Paints - Allow mixing of paints to create custom colours. I.e. Blue and Red paint + some gold material = some purple paint with flecks of gold

2. Allow paints to be sold to the art shop, or maybe create a board similar to that of Tailors where we have a range of custom colours to develop.

3. Allow harvesting of simple fruits, herbs and nuts. From what I have experienced Oranges, Limes, Pears, Hazelnuts, Walnuts, Thyme, Parsley, Mint, Figs, Sunfruit etc etc are unable to be harvested. Having all these ingredients would be useful in the player base making their own drink recipes. Obviously there would need some mechanics updates for this.

4. With the above, establish a supply warehouse that purchases alcohol and drinks from the player base for distribution into the various shops.

5. Deterrent Potions - Oh how fun it is being a non com walking through the Valley and being chased by a heat seeking Mountain Lion  🤪 

6. Using Plant Identification on a herb shows some simple information such as "This leaf looks like it can be used as a base for paint." "This stem looks like it could be used as a colourant for dye." "This root looks like it would make a good base for a salve." "This rainbow mushroom cap looks like it could be brewed into a potion."

7. Learning recipes as you gain ranks in the brew skills. It is a pain in the butt having to carry 40-50 materials on yourself to try and figure out what they could be used for. It doesn't have to tell you the exact, it could be simple as "A leaf, a steam and a fruit." 

8. Higher ranks in foraging allow you to forage 'multiple' items at once, similar to what happens in outdoors.

9. The ability to auto collect items into a basket/container similar to outdoors.

Overall, happy to see something new.. It's been super fun over the last few weeks discussing herbalism with a variety of people. It's the first time I've played an alternate character more than my main.  Look forward to the next phase when it comes out. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/09/2022 10:59 AM
Dragonus
(@dragonus)
Eminent Member
Posted by: @archmagi

@dragonus a herbalist can make massive amounts of the stuff fairly easily?

What product(s) do you feel can be made more quickly in massive amounts compared to just buying it in a store?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/09/2022 2:19 PM
AngelRain
(@angelrain)

For us to make massive amounts, it's going to be anything but fast. Since you are only getting a single herb every time you do find herb. I do like all of Syden's suggestions and cool paint variations, paint with silver and gold flecks would be neat. Also especially agree with #4 if not that, then potentially bartending jobs that work similar to locksmithing jobs. If a customer comes in Constantine's bar and orders posca, wine, or one of the other things an Herbalist can make. It'd be neat for the bartender to offer you coin to make it for them, like unlocking coffers/chests for them. (NPCS).

Also putting a decent price on herbs for selling to npcs, would be nice. I'm really hoping for something that lets us put a personal touch onto the drinks available. Variation options would be nice, in a pick from an option list type format. Flavor enhancements for alcoholic drinks, for wine, like strawberry, blueberry, blackberry, etc. I am still very optimistic and excited for Phase 3 to be released. You guys may have already thought about alot of this. If nothing else on the salves/potions maybe see up to a 25% increase in effectiveness vs store bought ones, based on the Herbalist's skill level. I love that you can paint wooden created goods and wooden/bone weapons. 

Exploration is one of my FAVORITE things about this skillset. So even being able to find all the various rare herbs is the best part for me. We may have caught up to you guys alot faster than expected on the learning high ranks. It seems like there are alot of herbs and such still not pluckable. Which is fine. I am hoping there are uses for them later if not right now. Unless they are still over the top of ranks 91/50/58 on basic, intermediate, advanced. 

I'm happy to be patient as I'm enjoying the rollout. I really just hope it's going to go places. Would be awesome if more avenues were made for non-com chars. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/09/2022 5:24 PM
RandomOne and Syden liked
Kered
(@kered)
Trusted Member

I got a winery in Vet just sitting there waiting for a new job style for herbing , has grapes to pick, then make wine. make x amount of coins. make hard booze make x amount of coin...

the choices are endless

Long live Vet

Est 1999

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/09/2022 7:10 PM
RandomOne and Syden liked
ArchMagi
(@archmagi)
Trusted Member

@dragonus apple juice, for example... buy a barrel of apples, then turn it into a barrel of juice... sell at a mark up.

Just as an example.

Also pretty easy to make a barrel of say... painkiller. Compared to buying it in vials of 13 doses... make a barrel of 500 doses instead.

Smoking tobacco is really easy to make, there are places to get just the leaves, doesn't take too many leaves to make a reasonable amount. Considering the price of the prepared stuff in the store.

Posca is fairly easy to mass produce as well, with it's minimal ingredients.

Of course, if you've got the money, everything's easier to just buy in a store, but it'd cost you more to get mass quantities than to just hire someone to make a barrel of the stuff.

More to the point though, if a herbalist has the ingredients, it only takes a couple seconds to make any amount of anything, including the largest container's worth.  The hard part is getting the ingredients.

I also wasn't disagreeing with the sentiment that it doesn't produce anything unique, as that's one of my major issues with the skillset currently.

Though... I've never seen hard liquor sold somewhere (not booze that's strong, but something called hard liquor)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/10/2022 4:34 AM
GMSiddhe
(@eternal-admin)
GameMaster Admin
Posted by: @dragonus

In terms of Herbalism's staying power and usefulness, after rereading the notes mentioned in this thread or this one (tools, recipes, foraging, etc.) I don't see any mention of jobs or benefits to encourage engaging with an herbalist.

As an example, PC-crafted torches can last longer than store-bought ones, PC-crafted lockpicks can be better than store-bought ones. But most of the products an herbalist can make so far, can be found or purchased at basically the same quality. In fact, some of the juices don't even replenish thirst. Is there something in mind (either now or in future) as a means to a purpose for herbalists to be more sought after?

Regarding the juice, have you put in an @report? That sounds like a bug. I don't see a report from you about this doing a quick search, but I may have just overlooked it.

Regarding your last sentence - yes. We are currently in Phase 2. Phase 3 has yet to roll out, and even outside of "vendor fodder", there are recipes for things that herbalists should be able find a nice player market for.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/11/2022 9:48 AM
GMSiddhe
(@eternal-admin)
GameMaster Admin
Posted by: @syden

What I like most about the skillset is the exploration and looking for new items. I have a new found appreciation for the amount of effort that has gone into designing the Gameworld. The new approach that Senses has taken to Herbalism opens a lot of doors for other crafting skillsets. I do feel it may be 'too simple' though.

What I dislike about the skillset is it's current usefulness and the required skill to make it useful. It is very limited in the ways you can make money. Player based economy and selling materials to an NPC for 1sen to 1 sterce ea.

The issue with the first one is, as Dragonus said, there is nothing that you can't already buy in the shop. Yes, herbalists can craft alot of it but there's nothing that people actually want to use.. Oil being the only exception and even then unless we were able to set up a permanent stand to sell things, it's not worth it. I don't want to pew pew the skillset yet as we have only found 24/30 recipes that Senses mentioned. I just hope that the last 6 provide something unique and useful for the player base to actually use.

Some feedback and suggestions for the skillset would be:

1. Paints - Allow mixing of paints to create custom colours. I.e. Blue and Red paint + some gold material = some purple paint with flecks of gold

2. Allow paints to be sold to the art shop, or maybe create a board similar to that of Tailors where we have a range of custom colours to develop.

3. Allow harvesting of simple fruits, herbs and nuts. From what I have experienced Oranges, Limes, Pears, Hazelnuts, Walnuts, Thyme, Parsley, Mint, Figs, Sunfruit etc etc are unable to be harvested. Having all these ingredients would be useful in the player base making their own drink recipes. Obviously there would need some mechanics updates for this.

4. With the above, establish a supply warehouse that purchases alcohol and drinks from the player base for distribution into the various shops.

5. Deterrent Potions - Oh how fun it is being a non com walking through the Valley and being chased by a heat seeking Mountain Lion  🤪 

6. Using Plant Identification on a herb shows some simple information such as "This leaf looks like it can be used as a base for paint." "This stem looks like it could be used as a colourant for dye." "This root looks like it would make a good base for a salve." "This rainbow mushroom cap looks like it could be brewed into a potion."

7. Learning recipes as you gain ranks in the brew skills. It is a pain in the butt having to carry 40-50 materials on yourself to try and figure out what they could be used for. It doesn't have to tell you the exact, it could be simple as "A leaf, a steam and a fruit." 

8. Higher ranks in foraging allow you to forage 'multiple' items at once, similar to what happens in outdoors.

9. The ability to auto collect items into a basket/container similar to outdoors.

Overall, happy to see something new.. It's been super fun over the last few weeks discussing herbalism with a variety of people. It's the first time I've played an alternate character more than my main.  Look forward to the next phase when it comes out. 

Glad to hear you're having fun with it, and enjoying the exploration aspect!

Also appreciate your well-written and thoughtful feedback on things to consider for inclusion in Phase 3 and beyond. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/11/2022 9:54 AM
GMSiddhe
(@eternal-admin)
GameMaster Admin
Posted by: @angelrain

For us to make massive amounts, it's going to be anything but fast. Since you are only getting a single herb every time you do find herb. I do like all of Syden's suggestions and cool paint variations, paint with silver and gold flecks would be neat. Also especially agree with #4 if not that, then potentially bartending jobs that work similar to locksmithing jobs. If a customer comes in Constantine's bar and orders posca, wine, or one of the other things an Herbalist can make. It'd be neat for the bartender to offer you coin to make it for them, like unlocking coffers/chests for them. (NPCS).

Also putting a decent price on herbs for selling to npcs, would be nice. I'm really hoping for something that lets us put a personal touch onto the drinks available. Variation options would be nice, in a pick from an option list type format. Flavor enhancements for alcoholic drinks, for wine, like strawberry, blueberry, blackberry, etc. I am still very optimistic and excited for Phase 3 to be released. You guys may have already thought about alot of this. If nothing else on the salves/potions maybe see up to a 25% increase in effectiveness vs store bought ones, based on the Herbalist's skill level. I love that you can paint wooden created goods and wooden/bone weapons. 

Exploration is one of my FAVORITE things about this skillset. So even being able to find all the various rare herbs is the best part for me. We may have caught up to you guys alot faster than expected on the learning high ranks. It seems like there are alot of herbs and such still not pluckable. Which is fine. I am hoping there are uses for them later if not right now. Unless they are still over the top of ranks 91/50/58 on basic, intermediate, advanced. 

I'm happy to be patient as I'm enjoying the rollout. I really just hope it's going to go places. Would be awesome if more avenues were made for non-com chars. 

I'm glad you've been enjoying this also, and appreciate you noting where we are in the rollout and that you're looking forward to the next phase. 🙂

Some of what you've *all* mentioned is already on the books, and some of everyone's ideas are twists or QoL improvements that I think are worth chatting about.

While the forums are a great place for you all to chat about stuff, in terms of game suggestions, I always encourage you to send them in as @request - suggestion or @reqeust - question or even @feedback if you want to be sure that they are seen.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/11/2022 10:11 AM
GMSiddhe
(@eternal-admin)
GameMaster Admin
Posted by: @kered

I got a winery in Vet just sitting there waiting for a new job style for herbing , has grapes to pick, then make wine. make x amount of coins. make hard booze make x amount of coin...

the choices are endless

Long live Vet

Not sure the winery wants people stealing their grapes. 😉 But they might be inclined to purchase a few "mixer ingredients" for their own brewing in the future!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/11/2022 10:24 AM
GMSiddhe
(@eternal-admin)
GameMaster Admin
Posted by: @archmagi

@dragonus apple juice, for example... buy a barrel of apples, then turn it into a barrel of juice... sell at a mark up.

Just as an example.

Also pretty easy to make a barrel of say... painkiller. Compared to buying it in vials of 13 doses... make a barrel of 500 doses instead.

Smoking tobacco is really easy to make, there are places to get just the leaves, doesn't take too many leaves to make a reasonable amount. Considering the price of the prepared stuff in the store.

Posca is fairly easy to mass produce as well, with it's minimal ingredients.

Of course, if you've got the money, everything's easier to just buy in a store, but it'd cost you more to get mass quantities than to just hire someone to make a barrel of the stuff.

More to the point though, if a herbalist has the ingredients, it only takes a couple seconds to make any amount of anything, including the largest container's worth.  The hard part is getting the ingredients.

I also wasn't disagreeing with the sentiment that it doesn't produce anything unique, as that's one of my major issues with the skillset currently.

Though... I've never seen hard liquor sold somewhere (not booze that's strong, but something called hard liquor)

Thanks for taking the time to offer folks suggestions on how to earn with the current phase of the skillset - very appreciated!

Side note: Sounds like it could be the perfect time for someone to organize a "Shop Local, Shop Small" campaign for Iridine to encourage player-sold goods over NPC shops.  😉 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/11/2022 10:27 AM
Page 1 / 2
Share: