TEC Forums

Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Feedback: Event and Story Structures 2023

SG Explosion
(@sgexplosion)
Story Guide Moderator

Hello folks.

First off I want to mention that this post and the forums are not the only avenue you have to submit feedback. You can submit feedback in game by using the @feedback and @sgfeedback commands.

With Monlon being an active battleground and an active world story we have been testing and utilizing different story transmission avenues to varying results.

The intent of this post is to gather some more player feedback on the topic of events and engagements.

• What are some of your favorite ways story has been shared about Monlon?
  • Do you like the use of rumors? If not, why?
  • If you have engaged in passive and casual story encounters in Monlon, did you enjoy them? 

On the topic of events we would love some feedback on structure.

• What is the perfect amount of time for an active, planned @event, and why?
  • What would you consider to be too long for an event?
  • Is there a minimum amount of time that an @event should last? 

Looking forward to any responses and thanks!

Topic starter Posted : 01/06/2023 12:39 PM
ArchMagi
(@archmagi)
Trusted Member

When they communicate on think, so non-coms like me can berate them for not thinking things through.... rumors are good, gives people a heads up when they've been asleep.

I did in fact enjoy berating that kelestian about what they're going to do if they win.

"between 45-90 minutes, more than that, at the times events are held, usually result in people leaving early.

minimum time is about 30 minutes, for a short thing, so people actually have time to show up

direct communication, where you are only talking to specific people, can be ten minutes or so

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/06/2023 12:49 PM
Tyril
(@tyril)
Posted by: @sgexplosion

Hello folks.

First off I want to mention that this post and the forums are not the only avenue you have to submit feedback. You can submit feedback in game by using the @feedback and @sgfeedback commands.

With Monlon being an active battleground and an active world story we have been testing and utilizing different story transmission avenues to varying results.

The intent of this post is to gather some more player feedback on the topic of events and engagements.

• If you have engaged in passive and casual story encounters in Monlon, did you enjoy them? 

I do like the rumors, I like the thought of the crowds in Monlon talking about what they have heard about the war. I have not been a huge part of the casual story encounters since my character I am usually on is not generally one to converse in think, but I like hearing from the "Kelestians" and wondering where exactly the ravager we hear in thoughts stands in the grand scale of things when it comes to the war.

For events I think it depends on the type, for big battles I think 90 minutes is fine I think that those types of things should be prolonged to add to how big of a fight it actually was and its good to see the different mindsets characters go into them with. Some of my favorite memories of the game are the huge battles in Monlon where there were wounded players being dragged away, and tended to all over. I do think some more skirmishes that last like 30-45 minutes would be good too so players who don't have much time can see the conclusion of the event. For non-com events I think 30-60 minutes is ideal. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/06/2023 1:01 PM
HeeroYuy
(@heeroyuy)

I do love seeing the rumors often.  Makes it feel like there are things happening and help set the mood.

As far time I agree with both of the above posts.

As far as event scheduling I love impromptu RP happening but haven't had as much time lately and usually aim for the scheduled events. The timing lately around 9 eastern seems to be working best for me, although my schedule is always changing.

A lot of hidden interactions really pique my interest the most even if I'm not part of them. Hearing about Ulath and Jaelic's visions were interesting. And us trying to make sense of it.  I have a lot of thought on where thing's could go.  And hoping they turn out that way.  The mysterious Sevius is really interesting too.  I do hope for multiple avenues of approach through our ongoing conflict.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/06/2023 4:33 PM
RandomOne
(@randomone)
Estimable Member

• What are some of your favorite ways story has been shared about Monlon? I am appreciating that information comes from a plethora of sources. It isn't just Legio, or just the Senate,  or just PC interactions, or just through passive observations of the enemy. Everyone has been give a piece of story to create a larger picture
  • Do you like the use of rumors? If not, why? I like the rumors, they help spark discussion
  • If you have engaged in passive and casual story encounters in Monlon, did you enjoy them? So far I have enjoyed the encounters I have had in Monlon

• What is the perfect amount of time for an active, planned @event, and why? 1.5 to 2. hours start to finish seems a good time block
  • What would you consider to be too long for an event? anything 2.5 hours or more (without prior warning that it will be a long event).
  • Is there a minimum amount of time that an @event should last? I think anything less than hour is just too short to really get things going.

Feedback note: It may be useful moving forward to put in a "estimated duration" block for the event submissions. This could help people plan their schedule to be available for the whole event, or let those who are running late know if they still "have time" to make it to an event. Just a suggestion.

Check out the JagerBtFM Twitch Stream's Discord at: https://discord.gg/zKcSsrTp

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/06/2023 5:40 PM
Kered
(@kered)
Trusted Member

• What are some of your favorite ways story has been shared about Monlon?  Rumors, people trading what they find, as well as events that happen.
  • Do you like the use of rumors? If not, why? I like rumors
  • If you have engaged in passive and casual story encounters in Monlon, did you enjoy them?  I've enjoyed the mini events want more of them, the diver one when the TM had a muster there was full of laughs. Serious side the opening of the ravines was great

• What is the perfect amount of time for an active, planned @event, and why?1-2 hours tops, I have noticed anything after an hour folks get bored
  • What would you consider to be too long for an event? Over 2 hours 
  • Is there a minimum amount of time that an @event should last?  You can do a mini event for 15-30 mins and people will be siked.

Est 1999

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/07/2023 10:57 AM
SG Explosion
(@sgexplosion)
Story Guide Moderator

Thanks for all the feedback folks!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 01/07/2023 3:20 PM
DaveWithTheNiceHat
(@davewiththenicehat)

• I was logged in daily September, October & November. Most posted scheduled events I participated in during that time. My main character was unfortunately never able to encounter an event where story plot unfolded.
    • Yes. It provides you a chance to know something about the game world you did not encounter. However, I would point out a more role play method for rumors would be preffered. Kind of like the wagon drivers talking about plaers... Something like you are walking down a street and you hear people in the crowd talking about the rumor. That said I doubt it is worth the time to code it. The existing method works 100%.
    • I enjoyed talking with the players. The event on the January 10th ( I think it was the 10th ), I did enjoy. It was a community raid with the legio to tunnels north of Monlon. Great way for me and my character to see new enemies.

• one to two hours. Due to text game mechanics it typicaly takes 10 minutes of travel time in a group to and from. So 20 minutes are travel. After about 30ish minutes of continuous combat characters without max endurnace start to get fatigued. ( I don't know the actual time I am guess, it has been awhile ).
    • three or more.
    • An hour, you are setting time aside for a scheduled event. There sould be something that occurs in it.

You did not ask these questions.

Please stop doing these "Story plots" where a NPC will think and another NPC will respond. Than when characters think and ask about it or attempt to interact they are ignored or outright told it is nothing.

Please reduce the scheduled @events where nothing happens. Having an event to explore the new hunting ground was great, one time. After that when there is an event I would expect some kind of interact with NPCs that is not just combat. I am playing this game 25 years later not only because of the timed combat system. Having GMs do events feels like playing a table top game but there is 60 of us on line. It's great when that happens. I have always apprechiated it. Even if it is one of those, catch the bad guy thinking and someone else gets them. It is just fun. If SGs are limited to just spawning NPCs, doing something players need to kill 100 mountaineers that are spawning in town can work. At least than it feels like you are doing something new.

In my opinion the ongoing events do not appear to be working. I question if it is an excuse for SGs GMs to only interact interact with PCs they have an established relationship with.

Sorry to have negative opinions on recent events. I have had so many good event interactions in the far past. Where these few months in Monlon nothing has occured.

That said, I have really enjoyed the changes to the game and the game world over the last few months. I apprichate the new hunting grounds. I apprichiate the changes to the combat system. In all everyone is doing a great job.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/13/2023 9:09 AM
SG Explosion
(@sgexplosion)
Story Guide Moderator

Love to see the feedback!

Due to ongoing story I cannot reveal too much but I can share a few things I hope help with player perspective.

While two Kelestian npc's discussing in thoughts may not have impact for your character(s) some of those interactions bleed into other conversations and ongoing story at the time and down the road. They are not done randomly and depending on responses and other interactions there are varying consequences.

As much as I'd love to share more about story opportunities currently in Monlon most are still active and on-going. Official conversations to the side every other story opportunity has been open to any character who has been willing to engage. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 01/16/2023 10:59 AM
SG Explosion
(@sgexplosion)
Story Guide Moderator

I have seen some story feedback that I wanted to address with folks to hopefully fill in some areas of unknown and dispel some other areas.

Players have mentioned that they feel sometimes story lives on rails. This has traditionally been defended with examples from the past. I will be honest there are times when a bit of story is meant to be a vehicle to character decisions and choices. Everyone who writes story makes different options available but for my own process I intentionally write multiple options for character decisions to effect the story direction, impact, and tone.

This is one example of character choice effecting the story.

The Legion caught an NPC doing something suspicious in Monlon. Instead of the more typical route of wrap them up and beat the information out of this NPC, they tried a non traditional angle by using another incentive. Due to character decisions they actually ended up with more information and an ongoing information source. The interaction was written with different outcomes based on character choice. When I prepare story I don't write in terms of right or wrong but options and choices. One of the best parts about being a StoryGuide is the anticipation of what will unfold as interactions and events are happening!

As a StoryGuide I also try to create as many opportunities for engagement but they don't always happen due to things out of all of our control. A blooded massive ravager crawling around the ravines just yesterday comes to mind. 

The largest example of story being effected by character decisions comes from the many interactions characters had with Sevius before the ravines opened up. From curious characters, friendly characters, to threats and kidnapping attempts. They were all added to the mix which had a very direct impact on story tone and interactions moving forward.  The distinction of Kelestian personalities wasn't planned to be a focal point until much later down the line but with characters interacting in the way they did it only made sense to give them the space to learn more about Kelestian society and it's people. 

Lastly I've had a few folks mention that they feel they miss out on interactions or places to engage in story. What I can say is that I am always planning more. We want to spread out the story to as many characters as possible! 

I hope people are enjoying all of the new story content and if you have feedback specifically for the SG's please make use of the @sgfeedback command.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 10/25/2023 12:00 PM
sigsauer
(@sigsauer)
Eminent Member

I appreciate any attempts at a story without a predetermined destination.  Nothing spoils a story like already knowing the direction and the expected outcome.  I like 10 out of 10 old yeller stories, not how batman is going to save Gotham city again and again.

Auburn to the CWS! War damn eagle.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/25/2023 12:11 PM
Herdias
(@herdias)
Eminent Member

I really enjoy the rumors system. I'd even say they should be used more frequently to give small immersive tidbits. I always enjoy waking up to one. 

I will say that I believe rumors should be -only- used to world build. Things that would be completely out of our control where we would not be able to affect the story. I.e. Rumors of Tuchean corsairs seen on the coast of Blackvine, rumors of patricians fleeing to the Tip fearful of the Kelestian invaders coming to the Capital, rumblings from Astraea about the war, updates on Franlius, rumors of Parcines raiders bothering the Nehal, etc. 

These would make the world feel more alive but not make you feel like you missed out on an event or an interaction. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/27/2023 3:12 PM
Share: