TEC Forums

Notifications
Clear all

Andoran Long Shields

Psilac
(@psilac)

Apparently these are not in fact long shields, in the sense that they do not work with the Avros sword fighting style. Is this working as intended, since 'long shield' is literally in the name of them and long shields are meant to work with this fighting style?

Topic starter Posted : 02/08/2022 7:36 PM
GM Pranzor
(@pranzor)
Member Admin

That is correct. The Anoraden long shield is not a traditional long shield. It will not work with the gladius styles that require a "long shield". It is a rare, unique shield.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/08/2022 8:13 PM
Psilac
(@psilac)

@pranzor So this isn't a bug in the code, since these shields were first out long before the Avros sword style, but in fact working as intended that a 'long shield' is in fact not a 'long shield'? That seems incredibly misleading from an in game perspective where it would appear the only thing different about it is the material it is made out of.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 02/08/2022 8:15 PM
Psilac
(@psilac)

@pranzor Like, for example, on the wiki it does state that a custom item has to have the name of it within the short desc of the item, so a faceplated helmet has to state what metal it is made of. This 'unique and rare' shield specifically says it is a 'long shield' but does not function as one in game. I wouldn't be able to get a 'large oval buckler' as a custom item that functions as an oval shield rather than a buckler in game, correct?

Basically, if it's not a long shield in this case, and doesn't function as one, then it should not be called a long shield at all.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 02/08/2022 9:05 PM
ArchMagi
(@archmagi)
Trusted Member

The andoran long shield is basically a narrow wall shield, good for hoplites.

The typical long shield is basically a kite, or heater.

The typical buckler is about the size of your fist, plus your other fist beside it.

A wall shield, or Andoran long shield can protect your entire body, head to toe, if you hunch a bit.  Or are short.

The oval shield is much too big to be a buckler.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/09/2022 2:13 AM
Psilac
(@psilac)

@archmagi So these can be used in the Pardellian style, if it is a wall shield? If so why isn't it called an Andoran wall shield? Can I get a custom item that is a two handed boison spiked club, but is in fact not a club at all but used in the two handed axe style as a boison pick axe? Does the same damage, roughly the same size, description could even be just a single large spike on a rounded piece of wood. Sounds like it could be used as a pick, but doesn't say it anywhere in the short or long description at that point, right? Same thing here. My point is if this isn't a bug and is working as intended that this long shield is not in fact a long shield in regards to sword styles, then the name shouldn't be quite literally 'long shield' in the short description.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 02/09/2022 4:38 AM
RandomOne liked
ArchMagi
(@archmagi)
Trusted Member

*shrug*

I wasn't the designer, and I've never used pardellian style to know if it works with it.

The rules for custom items are for new items, not old items the gms made a LONG time ago.

Used to be, those rules didn't apply to custom items either.  They stopped making true custom items, and now they're calling it a custom item, if you don't have the base item. All custom items these days are just alterations of base items you don't own yet.  Save your rp, don't get a custom item.  Get an item alteration.  Or an RP prop.

Used to be, you could actually make a custom item, something brand new.  Like a shotgun. *could never get a shotgun*

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/09/2022 11:09 PM
Share: