TEC Forums

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] @retire broken

Herdias
(@herdias)
Eminent Member

Hi, 

I @reported but haven't heard a response back. Seems like something changed and previous VC level is no longer calculated in an @retire. All of my character slots are VC10s. I currently can't even retire Veridio. I get an error when attempting. (Not that I want to retire him.) My other four slots all seem to only be calculating character age. This did -not- used to be the case. I assume there would be an update post of some sort if this was an intended change as it has HUGE implications for all accounts.

Hopefully this can get fixed soon because I'd like to retire a character but refused to retire for a VC2-4 when I should have a VC9. 

Cheers

Topic starter Posted : 09/13/2023 10:22 PM
SG Explosion
(@sgexplosion)
Story Guide Moderator

This has been sent to the GM team to look over. I did post on OOC when I saw the StoryGuild proclaim the other day!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/14/2023 8:38 AM
SG Explosion
(@sgexplosion)
Story Guide Moderator

I have been told that this issue has been resolved. Thanks for your patience!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/14/2023 1:35 PM
Herdias
(@herdias)
Eminent Member

Just for everyone's awareness, Pranzor is stating that this isn't a bug and @retire has -never- qualified for previous VC level of the character slot and that only applies to @chop.

I absolutely know without a shred of doubt this is incorrect because I've retired several characters that don't have 20k RPs or a decade long character age throughout the years and they were VC9's when I retired. As recently as last August/September 2022 timeframe. From what I've seen on discord, multiple other players have also. 

If someone else could maybe chime in so I don't feel like I'm getting gaslighted that'd be great. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/14/2023 2:21 PM
Rupert
(@rupert)
Active Member Registered

@herdias You're not crazy, and 100% correct. A VC 10 is equal to a 10 year old character upon creation when it comes to calculating future VC rewards. If the character is @retired, the calculation is 'base - 1'. With a maximum of a VC 10 reward for any character that is 10 years old or more, it means the maximum VC reward one can receive for an @retire is a VC 9. 

If a player wants, they can @recover a 10 year old throw away character they deleted, keep it on roster for the 6 month minimum, @retire it for a VC 9, roll a VC 9 and play it for a year, then @retire what is now effectively a 10 year old character for another VC9. There is nothing in the rules against this, and I recall when the @retire function was introduced players inquired extensively about this, and the GM's confirmed the way this worked was in fact intended. 

When conducting a forum search, this are only two pieces of 'official' information I can find posted about it:

Character Age                    Package Level

Six Months to One Year               1 (Free for Premium)
One to Two Years                       2 
Two to Three Years                     3 
Three to Four Years                    4 
Four to Five Years                      5 
Five to Six Years                        6 
Six to Seven Years                     7
Seven to Eight Years                  8
Eight to Nine Years                    9
Nine or more Years                   10 

This table shows a direct correlation between a VC package level and its value in age of character. This is where 'base' is calculated. It is nine or more years OR a VC 10. 

Then there's this specifying the exception for how @retire works.

'@retire will award a VC package of "base - 1", which means the max cap for an @retire VC package is a level 9.'

If they're attempting to change this retroactively, or there's some sort of misunderstanding on the GM's part about how this is suppose to work, the supposed correction is a terrible change. Although I suspect few players take advantage of it, being able to roll a VC 10 on a short lived character concept and having some decent tools to play with in executing a story over the course of a year, only to then utilize the @retire function and try something else on a VC 9 base was easily one of the best additions to the game of the last decade. Rolling it back would be a giant step in the wrong direction. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/14/2023 4:43 PM
SG Explosion
(@sgexplosion)
Story Guide Moderator

Thanks for the feedback folks. I will let Pranzor know this conversation is happening here in the forums if they wish to clarify anything further they can do do so.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/18/2023 12:50 PM
Herdias
(@herdias)
Eminent Member

Any update on this? It's been a few weeks. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 10/08/2023 6:47 PM
SG Explosion
(@sgexplosion)
Story Guide Moderator

I do not have a response to share with you Herdias. If you are looking for more clarity I would attempt using in-game mechanics to begin a dialog with the GM staff. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/14/2023 3:49 PM
Share: